Many children in the Dominican Republic struggle to thrive in a life of poverty. Inferior schools and illiterate parents compound the problem, resulting in a generation of children with no hope for a better future. Strength for the Journey helps children build skills that create capabilities to change their future.
We offer classes that challenge thinking, promote problem-solving and provide hands-on enrichment. Strength for the Journey does not replace or replicate regular school. We go beyond the basic skills to create future community leaders.
Currently, Strength for the Journey DR is enriching the academic environment in the small mountain pueblo of Jamao, in the Dominican Republic. The Jamao al Norte Learning Center, located above the Parroquia Asunción De Maria Church, enrolls 130 children in this isolated area. Strength for the Journey DR gives financial assistance in support of this center. Our relationships with the local Strength for the Journey non-profit and advisory committee help us to best meet community needs.
Currently, Strength for the Journey DR contributes to classes held during after-school hours, Saturdays, or mornings in summer months. All classes, materials, instruments, and uniforms are provided. Learning center teachers are a mix of paid locals, and volunteers. Children attend from the local pueblo of Jamao, and Strength for the Journey travels to small isolated schools throughout the mountain area to provide enrichment to 15 or fewer children in one room schoolhouses.
- Problem Solving
- Values Education
- Environmental Awareness and Recycling
Strength for the Journey Dr provides funds to support a complete children/adolescent library with books in English and Spanish.
Children are invited to attend week-long summer camps based on themes such as technology, activity challenges, art, etc. Movie nights and pizza parties are held to reward students for accomplishments achieved throughout the class session
Working together with others helps our Jamao learning center to meet local needs and access supplies and materials not readily available otherwise.
Many thanks to the following individuals and groups for being our Strength for the Journey;
• Port Clinton, Ohio Rotary Club – donated batteries and an inverter so the learning center could benefit from 24 hour power. The Rotary has also donated generously towards the cost of transporting donations to us in the Dominican Republic.
• Port Clinton City Schools, Ohio – donated reading textbooks and 300 computers and laptops which were distributed to schools and educators in the Jamao School District.
• Port Clinton, Ohio – became a sister city to Jamao and hosted nine members of the Strength for the Journey advisory for a week-long conference to learn more about community organizations and institutions.
• Immaculate Conception Church, in Port Clinton, Ohio, sister church to Asuncion de Maria in Jamao – made various donations to assist with specific Strength for the Journey projects.
• Immaculate Conception School, Port Clinton – students spent one year making rosaries for the children in Strength for the Journey.
• Asuncion de Maria, in Jamao- provides us two classrooms at no cost.
• Robyn Bloom – donates barrels filled with clothing, sheets and towels several times a year for the small, impoverished mountain communities.
• Our generous donors, especially the following,
• who contributed more than $250 USD in 2018.
• The Dubois Foundation
• Frank Kehres
• James and Patsy Skinner
• Armor Fire Protection, Inc.
• Robert and Patty Bergia, Jr.
• Mark Kelley
• Tina Hablitzel
• Robert Denney
• Cynthia Bolte
• Pat George
• Linda Snyder